Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Trying To Keep Jesus In His Box

It’s interesting to me that we can, and do, make such a big God small. In fact, we like to keep Jesus in his nice little comfy box. I mean honestly, our lives would be unstable if we let Jesus get out. He’s safe where he is, or well, I guess we’re safe where he is.

Ok, cutting to the chase, here’s my point. Our preconceived notions on how, when, and essentially why God works screws us all. We miss God. It’s not because he isn’t working, it’s he’s working outside our box and we think he’s safe inside. I don’t have an earth shattering experience or an “edge of your seat” story, but I am discovering through my own thoughts of God, I’m suffocating him. He’s dying in his box. For God sakes, literally, let him out!!!

I’m not a writer and certainly not a speaker. Never have I attempted to write anything of worth, especially throughout school, and when I had an opportunity to speak…well I did it because I felt I had to. Suddenly now, God seems to be throwing a wrench into my current plans. I am comfortable just serving and living my life in front of nobody. In fact, as much as I like attention, I hate it when the attention is on me in expectation. Next thing I know I’m writing, people are reading (I think), and God starts having me go talk at places. Who’d have thought, certainly not I.

I don’t know exactly why I tell you this. You probably don’t care, but then again it’s my blog, I can write whatever I want. I hope it screws you up!!! Actually, I hope everyday I end up more and more screwed up. I don’t know how you can truly read the Bible and not be shaken. Well…I guess I do, but try and read it differently.

Jesus is a nobody from Nazereth. Seriously. This guy was born in a barn with stinky animals. You ever drive in the country before the farmers plant? Imagine that smell as part of your welcoming party. I do believe he is the Son of God, but from the outside looking in, our society would describe him as a “shame to fame” story with a crappy ending. Now, he’s turning some of our lives into, what the world would consider, nonsense.

Sometimes when I’m working with the kids in Austin I think, “What in the world am I doing?” God, this is pointless.

Yesterday for instance, I was with the high schoolers in Austin. They insisted on playing a “friendly" game 50. Being naive and new, I had no idea what 50 was, yet I was in. Come to find out 50 is a warped game of PIG, except it ends a little different if you lose. Cakes is one of the kids that comes everyday to the after school program. “Cakes” isn’t a clever name by the way. Let’s just say Cakes has had a lot of cake in his life. Sadly, he isn’t athletic and usually loses, especially in this game.

When six or seven of the boys realized Cakes had lost, they swarmed around him and began punching his face and body without mercy. A few minutes later I finally got them to stop hitting and kicking Cakes. I quickly learned this is the price for losing in 50. Though I felt bad for Cakes, I’m glad I didn’t lose.

As you can imagine, it can feel defeating working with these kids. I won’t lie, some days I struggle to find hope in their lives. However, I realize this is when I’m trying to keep Jesus in his box. Let him out!!!

If you don’t let him out, I don’t think that’ll stop him. It’s his story anyway; you just get to be apart of it.

I was working at Starbucks just the other day enjoying some Christmas music. As I was learning about coffee, my manager called us into the back for a quick meeting. She expressed with great disappointment that people had been talking a lot lately about religion. “It’s not acceptable and needs to stop,” she said. We all agreed to it and the meeting was over.

Walking back behind the counter I noticed “Oh Holy Night” was playing. It was as if it was on cue, the next words playing throughout the store were, “Christ our savior is born.”. I’m not sure if the others noticed it, but something dawned upon me at that moment. Call it an epiphany if you will. No matter what we, as Christians, or anyone else tries to do, Jesus is to big for a box. He’s bigger than our can’ts, won’ts, shouldn’ts, shoud’ves, and could’ves. He’s bigger than our motives, desires, words, hearts, and situations. He’s just BIG.

I know this isn’t like a reforming concept, but ask yourself, do I have Jesus in a box? Why does God seem so different in other places? Ok, we know God isn’t different, but why do others worship him so differently than I? I don’t know you tell me.

But, do Jesus a favor, let him out of his box you have him in. Whether you do or you don’t it doesn’t matter, he’ll get out.

No comments: