Monday, November 06, 2006

What The Church Is Going On?

I got a job…well kinda, only on Monday nights and the pay sucks because it zero.

Check this out though!!

There are nearly 20 tables and all of our guests come in at once. It’s pretty much like a restaurant with a twist. However, there is only one dish to choose from making my job easier. It’s not a very profitable business (obviously since being open one night a week and serving one thing). In fact, our guests don’t even pay to eat.

Ok, ok. That was my poor attempt to keep you drawn in as I tell you about a church that is taking serving the poor and needy to a new level. How often do you think a homeless man or women gets waited on? Well, they do on Monday nights at Breaking Bread.

Breaking Bread is a ministry that is put on by LaSalle church just north of the magnificent mile on LaSalle Street. On Monday nights around a hundred or so homeless men, women, and unfortunately several children gather to eat a meal together.

It’s one of the most amazing things I have witnessed. I mean that!!

Just imagine…You’re homeless. For whatever reason you have no home and society, for the most part, has written you off. Yet, there is one night a week where you go to a church and they roll out the red carpet for you. Live music (though a CD would sound much better than most songs played), plenty of food, and someone waiting on you hand and foot (It sounds almost like a place you would take someone on a hot date!!).

Not only do we have the chance to serve these people, we also eat with them. Get in their lives, hear there heart or just listen to whatever they want to talk about. The goal of the night…they’re a big deal!! What they say and need is of top priority. There are even nurses that do free HIV and hepatitis test for our guest.

Let’s just say I don’t know many “restaurants” you go to and the customers leave their meal halfway through to start an HIV test.

I tell you this because I believe this is it!!! It’s the church at its best.
Real People. Real Problems. Real Love.

Talking with the director, Keith, I learned about the history of Breaking Bread.

The pastor of LaSalle Church happened to look outside before the start of a Sunday morning service 4 years ago when God opened his eyes to all the homeless that loitered around. From there he knew that they (the church) had to take action. So, as a ministry they wait on homeless people as if they were attending a nice restaurant.

Amazing I tell you!!!

It was neat to hear Keith’s heart and passion for the ministry. After Keith and I talked he walk back into the kitchen and knocked over some pots and pans that concluded with a loud, “shit.” I laughed. Reason being, I think shit is a funny word that can be placed in most sentences and because I just heard this guy go off on his love for the Lord and .2 seconds later said shit.

Would Jesus ever say shit if he dropped something? I don’t know about that, but I know I do, especially when I am driving. Ooops!!

This may sound dumb to you, however, it’s encouraging to me that people are real about their faith and live out their passions even while swearing. Pull out your verses and say how wrong it is to swear, but leaving my “religious community” behind, I see so much true love in many broken vessels here…I say let the shits fly all you want, just let love reign in your life by loving each person you come in contact with and loving God.

Love God and Love People…the rest…well…the rest is just plain shit!!!

Sorry mom for my language…but I’ve heard you say it before.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Best quote from that night.....

(Kaite)"Joe can I wrap up some of your leftovers to take with you?"

(Joe) "Oh no thanks sweetheart, my fridge is over flowing as it is!" (obviously some sarcasim)

and...

(Tim, the black guy way in the corner)
" Man turn this shitty hillbilly, redneck, black hating music off!! I want some soul music!"