Friday, March 02, 2007

I Ate Jesus

This past Sunday, INTRSCT was invited to Chicago First Nazerene Church in Lemont, IL. Along with our staff, we brought two girls from our Austin Hope & Light Ministry, Kimyatte and Ariel. Besides the fact that it was really encouraging that an entire church congregation believes in us and pays for the ministry, it was extremely humorous. When we first walked into the church Kimyatte yelled, “This church is raw!!” (meaning cool) as we were greeted with several plasma televisions.

As she looked around she asked me where all her people where? I said we’re right here, but I knew what she meant. They were the only two black people in the church.

The service began and we showed the video that I’ve posted on this blog, and our site director, Zach, gave an update about the ministry this congregation supports.

The service carried on as I sat next to Ariel who insisted on playing with my phone so she didn’t fall asleep. The service was good, normal, we sang, we listened, we sang again. Then, the pastor closed the service with communion. No big deal right?

If you could have only seen the confusion in the eyes of Ariel and Kimyatte, “we’re gonna eat?” We’ll not exactly guys!! First they passed around the crackers, I mean bread right? Ariel was confused why she was holding a cracker, but we told her to listen and we would explain later. “This is Jesus?” she said. “We’ll explain later Ariel,” as we tried not to be so loud as we sat in the front of the church. Then they passed around the grape juice and I couldn’t help but laugh when Ariel got excited and said, “oh man is that wine up in this cup?” “No Ariel, it’s grape juice,” I said as disappointment and confusion remained on her face.

We had communion, the service ended, and then it was time to eat. The pastor took us to this bling bling (very expensive) restaurant. We ate like kings.

Ariel and Kimyatte said on the way home it was one of the best days they can remember. It was for me too. It was interesting to see two cultures collide like that. I think better than interesting it was encouraging.

I heard a pastor say, some time ago, “Sunday mornings are the most segregated time of the week.” When I first heard this I thought it was ridiculous. As I thought about it more, gave time to process the statement, and now have witnessed unbelievable segregation in the church, this statement is unfortunately become a reality I believe.

It doesn’t have to be this way though. I would say 90%-95% of my church is black. I feel comfortable there. I feel like a person there, I don’t feel like a white guy attending a black church. In fact, I’m becoming close friends with a 60-year-old black man named Jerry there. We’ve been hanging out often and talk on the phone several times a week.

I guess my point is, I like to see cultures, races, ethnicities, and stereotypes collide. Or, another way to say it is, I like people living in tension with their beliefs and set ways. When it comes down to it, we’re people, loved by God and really, that’s all that matters. I don’t think we live that way, but that’s a perspective I try to maintain.

On a side note: Yesterday I made the commitment official to stay with INTRSCT till summer of ’08. It will be interesting to see where this journey takes me. Keep watching, God only knows what will happen.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

summer 08...i'll be on to the next journey too...lets get a group and do crazy things no one else will do! ha ahhh. excited to see what God does with us all...so sweet.