Wednesday, April 18, 2007

What I Base My Life On

I found something interesting this morning. I purposefully took the morning off from Starbucks to do absolutely nothing. I did absolutely nothing except finish a book I've been reading lately, Sex God: by Rob Bell. This book is loaded with rich, deep truths about life and faith.

I think we'd all live a little different if we'd actually believe, and lived out a lot of the content in this book, but I think its more common to just view it as a "good book."

Here's my point, Bell points out something profound. Not that I've never thought of it, but he puts it in a way where I don't feel "normal" and wish to remain "abnormal." It's about Jesus, it's about God, and it’s about you and I.

"He is born to a teenage peasants under questionable circumstances. His mother gets pregnant before marriage. He's born amid the dung and straw of a stable. he's placed in a feeding trough. His brothers and sisters thing he's out of his mind, and after his first sermon in his hometown, the people he grew up with form a mob and try to kill him."

Rob Bell ~ Sex God

And so the sophisticated Sunday morning, mid-week, bible study, etc..etc.. (our programmed worship) comes out of a deep desire to serve a God with this kind of plan to bring humanity back to himself...

I guess it feels like I'm apart of something a little more refined and well put together than that, but maybe I’m apart of something a little more radical, a little more unexplainable, a little more “crazy.”

Interesting…

Keep that in mind.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

yo...what's your email address???

Anonymous said...

So...I just sat down and for some reason I thought, Ted. Pray for Ted. How the heck is Ted? And so I caught up on your posts. We should chat soon. I know Erin got that internship with the public school system for this summer, so I will definitely be up to visit...besides the fact that you're there, and it's always a good time. Yeah...that's about it. Talk soon, we should.

Anonymous said...

we want more.

derryprenkert said...

I base my life on what your blog has to say... Lately, my life has been at a standstill

Anonymous said...

your posts have alot of truth in them. i am sorry to hear about intrsct it was an amazing program. i will continue to pray for the children. i love the mcdonalds gift card idea that is truly amazing. i hope that you are doing well and keep serving.

KLantz said...

it's time my friend.

i need to get up there soon.