Wednesday, December 06, 2006

A Poem From Austin

The following poems were written by a 6th grade girl in Austin. Her name is Kimyatte. Each day she wins my heart more and more, as many of them do. I don't know if these poems will impact you, but they keep me awake at night. Here's a glimpse into a life none of us will ever experience.

LOCKED UP

Locked up behind bars; you can’t see daylight you can’t even see stars. Locked up in a place that is lonely; the ones that you miss aren’t your one and only. Locked up arrested by cops; your only job is working with mops. Locked up they won’t let you out; no matter how much you scream, holler, or shout. Locked up you say it doesn’t matter; but when you get out all your dream just shatter. Locked up you say it aint true; but the one who’s really locked up is all you. You’re locked up with no where to go; and you say to your self “say it aint so.” But it’s true because it’s you; now you sitin up in there all down and blue. He’s locked that man is gone; and just when you thought, he was the only one. He’s locked up and you may feel sad; especially when that man is your dad.

YOU'RE GONE

You’re gone you’re gone you’re out of life; and you weren’t even old enough to have a wife. You’re gone and out of sight; you were like a son to Terreca dispight the fact that you loved to fight. You were a cousin to us all and now you’re gone;

You left us but you’re not the only one. You will be missed dearly but never the lest; L.F. loves you and we are all here to put you to rest.

We are all here to put you in your grave; and to honor a young man who was very, very brave. You’ve always been loved by people around you; I just want you to know that I love you too. You’re gone and never to return again; you were a lovable young man who was never plain.

You’re gone you’re gone and we are left with pain; now that you’re gone life will never be the same. You left without warning, life is a dread; but you have no life now that you’re dead. Dontay you weren’t related to me by blood; but my cousin kept you out of trouble and out of the hood.


Starting in January I'm going to be teaching a writing class in Austin. God has a sense of humor. After I read "Writing For Dummies" I hope I can continue what Kimyatte has started. These kids have a story to tell, pray I can help them tell it.

3 comments:

Robin said...

Teddy-what an opportunity! Honestly-best news I've heard all week. Writing is an amazing way for these kids to reach out, and God will reach back; I just know it. I'm praying for that ministry to take shape in your head and heart in the next weeks, and to also take flight once you start leading the class.

Kim Mierau said...

Ted, I read your note on facebook and then came here. So glad you'll be teaching them writing - it's an amazing way for them to process and grow. Wow. How incredible for you to be there, supporting them, teaching them, and loving them.

Kim Mierau said...

Ted, I read your note on facebook and then came here. So glad you'll be teaching them writing - it's an amazing way for them to process and grow. Wow. How incredible for you to be there, supporting them, teaching them, and loving them.