Saturday, December 23, 2006

So This Is Christmas...

Tonight I finally did my Christmas shopping. I’m proud of myself being finished a day early, though some of you have likely been done for nearly a month. Presents at Christmas are cool, but time with loved ones and grasping “God with us” is truly what makes Christmas special to me.

I headed to Michigan Ave to complete my Christmas shopping (don’t worry this entry is about more than me purchasing presents.) As I’ve mentioned several times beforehand, I love the city. I love the people, place, diversity, socioeconomic differences, the poor, the lost, and tonight, even the drunk. I’ve simply described most places in the world, yet there’s something special about Chicago.

When I go downtown I try to carry several McDonald’s gift cards with me. This not only gives me a chance to feed those that are hungry, I also get to initiate conversations with homeless men and women. Tonight, I had an encounter that brought tears to my eyes.

After departing from the train, I quickly hit the stores I'd planned, first being Apple of coarse. When my shopping was complete I decided to walk around town admiring the Christmas decorations and atmosphere. I walked down State Street (one of my favorite streets besides Michigan) to see the famous Macy’s window decorations and the Chicago Theater.

During my walk, I came upon a huge Catholic church called Holy Name Cathedral. I was in awe of its beauty. I noticed they had their service times posted for Saturday night, the latest being 7:30. I looked at my phone finding that I was just in time for mass. So, I entered. (Side note: I’m glad I’m not Catholic; they stand, sit, and mumble things throughout the whole service. Maybe I just wasn’t used to it.)

Towards the end of the service my attention was drawn towards a man in the far back corner. By his appearance it seemed most likely that he was homeless. After the service concluded I hurried towards the back where the man had been seated.

He dashed out of the Cathedral, but luckily I caught him just outside the door. “Sir,” I said politely. He turned around slowly giving me a confused stare. “I wanted to wish you a Merry Christmas and give you this card to McDonald’s.” He took several seconds examining the card then looked up at me saying, “how does it work,” looking even more confused. I was almost speechless. I couldn’t believe he didn’t know. Maybe I was being naive, but I was completely shocked.

As I explained how to use the card, I had the man’s complete attention, as if I was explaining where a secret treasure was located. As soon as I finished he said thank you, shook my hand, and then took off like a rocket down the street. I felt inclined to follow him, so I did. It was almost impossible to keep up with him.

Where was he heading so quickly?

As I turned the corner on Chicago Ave, I watched him practically run through the doors of McDonalds.

I’ve never experienced the feeling I had felt at that moment before. I can’t describe it to you. I stood outside that McDonald’s crying as the man stood at the soda fountain for several minutes drinking pop as quick as he could swallow, then refilling his cup over and over again. That experience moved me; I’ll never forget it. Mass was completely boring, but if I can worship God next to people like him, I may go more often.

Shortly after I left McDonald’s, I began walking west towards the Hard Rock Café. I don’t know why I did, but I just did. I noticed a man in front of me who was about ready to fall over. I didn’t know what to do. At first, I debated in my mind how I would avoid the man.

As I came closer and closer to him I couldn’t simply walk by. I think Luke 10 has messed me up some. I asked the man if he was ok.

He replied in a soft drunken slur, “Yes, I’ma great.”

“Ahh ok,” I said. “My name is Ted, where are you headed?”

“To the Redline Train,” he sort of said.

I knew he was really gone, as he had just walked right in front of it.

“Well sir, its just back there,” pointing him in the right direction.

“Can I help you get there?” I asked.

“No, no,” he said. “You don’t want to be around me right now, I’m pissed.”

“Ok, what’s wrong sir?”

I’m not to sure what he was talking about, but I guess he was pretty mad at his boss and came and got drunk because of it, real drunk.

I offered to get a cab for him, but he wasn’t in the mood for help at that moment. “Ted,” he said as he reached for his wallet, “Merry F*@%ing Christmas,” and handed me a $100 dollar bill. I tried to get him to take it back, but he quickly became irritated. Saying Merry Christmas back to him, I made sure he went in the right direction as we parted.

After visiting with several other homeless men and women, I got back on the train myself.

Life…it’s an adventure. I was a little lonely heading downtown alone tonight; however, God gave me company in a unique way: a drunk man and several homeless people.

Merry Christmas everyone!!! Don’t forget, Christmas is about “God with us.”

3 comments:

Rob said...

Ted,

Man, you inspire me...and I suck at reaching out to people like that...but I think my heart is changing, and I'm trying to get better at it. Thanks for letting God use you to get to me.

Merry Christmas, my brother....

Anonymous said...

wow. ted reading your adventures from this night makes me wish i was there that night. i love it. Merry Christmas!

Anonymous said...

Ted,
I just got home from church and Mom told me to rad your blog. Yesterday I took my brother Bill to my office and showed him your blog. He asked if he could read it and so I printed off alomost all that you have wrote for him to take home.
Your venture out last night is such an awesome story. I think back to all the times we went to Chicago to go Christmas shipping and never noticed anyone like you describe, I know now that it was because I never had my eyes opened for anyone else except for you Rachael and Mom.
It saddens me to say it but it is true. I am so glad you can show me and others who is really out there and how we can touch someone as a friend would.
(a Friend of Sinners) My eyes are filled with tears, and I thank God for you and your willingness to do as He Himself may do if it were Him walking down those streets. I am blessed! Thank You.......

I Love You,
dad